[OpenID board] Funding Proposal

Recordon, David drecordon at verisign.com
Thu Apr 12 18:07:13 UTC 2007

Hey Andy,
No, all good questions!

I think the root of your confusion around your options for spending
$10,000 is how it is worded I'm sure.  What I see your options to spend
the entire $10,000 (in order of least bang for your buck to most) are:
 - $10,000 donation
 - $1,000 membership, $9,000 donation
 - $5,000 sponsorship, $5,000 donation
 - $1,000 membership, $5,000 sponsorship, $4,000 donation

It isn't designed to be an either/or for the membership, sponsorship,
and donation categories.  Do you have advice as to how this can be
written more clearly?

So I'm not sure if there is consensus yet on if membership is required
to chair a working group.  I do believe however there is consensus that
membership is required to chair or participate in a committee.

As the document currently describes working groups performing technical
work (such as specification, best practices, code, etc development) they
are not controlled by the Foundation.  Rather the Foundation is there to
provide resources they need and foster communication throughout the
wider community.  There is certainly an argument to be made that a WG
should be chaired by a member for Foundation communication, though at
the same time I'd think there would be other viable models as well.

--David