[OpenID board] Further discussion ...

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Fri Apr 6 19:46:20 UTC 2007

While I was not a party to the telephone call with David and I
respect and will stand behind Bill and Scott's decision to change
plans, I am concerned about the organization operating according to
standard organizational process.

1) A bylaws committee was nominated and empowered to put together a
proposal for bylaws. Discussion points were presented (Feb 22) and
feedback was conducted with the board, and a proposal was drafted and
presented (Mar 14). There was no explicit decision from the board
about what was wrong with the proposal. A new committee was formed
though to create an alternative proposal, rather then working within
the existing committee. As the leader of the original committee, I
question if the committee was truly empowered and if my time was
wasted creating the original proposal.

2) The board made a decision (April 5) on how to move forward with
the proposal. All board members were aware of the proposal. The
agenda for the meeting clearly stated the board was going to deal
with the issue. No alternative proposal had been provided, although
two weeks had elapsed. No request had been made to extend the time to
create an alternative proposal. The board looked at all available
information and made a decision. This decision is now being changed.
I'm assuming there was some extraordinary new information that led
Scott and Bill to change the decision after talking to David.

David: would you be able to share with the rest of the board why the
board decision should be changed?

If we are going to be able to move forward as a board, we need to
empower committees to do tasks, and we need to make good decisions
with available information and execute on them.

-- Dick