[OpenID board] From the call today ...

Bill Washburn billhwashburn at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 23:45:05 UTC 2007

Hi everyone--

I apologize in advance if this feels intrusive coming from the "facilitator."  I've been attempting to be agnostic on the question of sustainability models in large measure.  I must admit, however, that given I may end up being the one who lives most directly with the day-to-day consequences of this decision, I have one thought from this afternoon that I'd mention as a possible addition to the proposal that Dick, Scott, and I are scrubbing up for the community to see and respond to.

The thought is this: why not give organizations a choice in terms of how they wish to support and participate in the OIDF going forward.  That is, organizations could be choose to either:

a.   pay/buy a seat on the OIDF Board at a predetermined annual fee (TBD) with the voting privileges that are entailed with Board membership but with no formal promise of visibility just because of being on the board.

b.   become a sponsor of the OpenID community at one of four levels (along the lines of Apache Software Foundation levels) and receive the rights of community and marketplace visibility that specifically come with sponsorship levels but no membership on the board; or

c.   both a. and b. above

I'm thinking that this might be a reasonable thing to allow because there may well be various organizations that for various reason want very much to support the OpenID effort but do not to have any direct involvement in the management, control, or perceived choices of direction of the OIDF.

cheers,
-bill